RE: DB corruption question

From: Stephen Lee <slee_at_dollar.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2002 07:38:59 -0800

-----Original Message-----
ORA-01110: data file 1: '/fs1/oradata/db1/system01_raw.dbf'
ORA-01207: file is more recent than controlfile - old controlfile

Will this corrupt the database? Will it harm/corrupt the original instance? What happens if someone tries to recover it at this point? Does it make a difference whether its a RAW or cooked file system?

I don't think it will corrupt anything, but you won't be able to open the database. Apparently somebody smoked at least one control file and restored it from a backup. So now the control file(s) is/are behind the data file. If only one control file was smoked, and you have another that is up to date, replace the smoked one with a copy of the good one.

If you can't do that (i.e. ALL your control files are old) AND if the database was shut down clean (why do I have the feeling it wasn't?), then move what control file you have off somewhere else; and see if you can recreate a new control file; then recover the database using backup control file. This will require an open resetlogs (You DO have a good backup of what you currently have right?).

If the database was not shut down clean and you only have old control files, then I think you have no choice but to restore the entire database back to your last backup. If you are in this situation, you still might try recreating the contol files. If the database had no activity prior to the disruption, you might get lucky and have all your headers up to date even without a clean shutdown. As long as you are planning a complete restore, I don't think it would hurt to give it a try.

It's time to get out that Oracle backup and restore manual.

Author: Stephen Lee
  INET: slee_at_dollar.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Thu Dec 05 2002 - 09:38:59 CST