Re: Oracle 9iR2 on Red Hat 8.0

From: Markus Reger <reger_at_mdw.ac.at>
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2002 01:44:02 -0800

installed O92010 on rh 8.0. went fine so far until I tried to connect via "oemapp console" - whatever connectdescripter I chose it resulted in the error "connection string not properly terminated". same connect descriptors in the CLI worked fine - made them available in the "oemapp console" and got the error message. didn't investigate any further into this - experienced it twice on two different machines. changed back to rh7.2 and things were fine again.

don't forget to make the kernel settings for memory - otherwise the database installation will fail - maybe you have to correct the entry in the ORACLE_HOME/ctx/lib/env_ctx.mk file for INSO_LINK and add $(LINKLDLIBS) at the end. installing the patch to make 9.2.0.2.0 out of it may require some tweaking. or if this is a new installation just drop the typical database and create a new one after applying the patch to the other files. be careful with oid - experienced you cannot install it after applying the patch.

in general the same hints and points as on SunOS apply on RH 7.2/7.3/8.0.

have a lot of fun

thats all I can contribute.
kr

>>> Jared.Still_at_radisys.com 12/04/02 23:52 PM >>> Thanks Sean.

I installed 9iR2 on both my laptop and a desktop, both running RH 8.0.

Pretty straightforward, except for the usual failure in linking intermedia. I would have thought they would fix that by now.

Jared

l-oracle_at_hypno.iheavy.com
Sent by: root_at_fatcity.com
 12/04/2002 09:44 AM
 Please respond to ORACLE-L

        To:     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
        cc:
        Subject:        Re: Oracle 9iR2 on Red Hat 8.0

> If you've installed Oracle 9i on RH 8.0, please let me know.
>
> Also, please let me know of any difficulties and workarounds
> you may have encountered.
>
> Just put a new 40Gig HD in my laptop, and wondering if I
> can install RH 8.0, or should use 7.2.

Jared:

I put together some notes when I installed 9.2.0 on RH7.3. I think that RH8 is probably similar.

http://iheavy.com/~shull/files/ora9i_inst_notes.txt

HTH,
Sean

  INET: l-oracle_at_hypno.iheavy.com