RE: Single-task message waits

From: Cary Millsap <cary.millsap_at_hotsos.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Dec 2002 10:54:18 -0800

Rich,

Well, at least we've cleared up the "whether." Now the question turns to the "why."

Once you have identified a program's dominant response time contributor, solving any optimization problem degenerates to a very simple strategy:

  1. Reduce the number of times the dominant contributor's services are required.
  2. Reduce the duration per service call of the dominant contributor.

I expect that #2 will be difficult to do in this case, because I'd expect that the single-task driver is probably the fastest conceivable way that two pieces of client-server code can communicate (they're after all in the same executable). Your leverage is probably #1. It's the old adage:

        Q: What's the fastest way to do X?

  1. Don't.

Find out whether your process is making more database calls than it needs to be making. Investigate the usual suspects: SQL that doesn't use bind variables and therefore has to be parsed more often than it should be parsed, one-row-at-a-time manipulation instead of using arrays and bulk features, and so on.

Cary Millsap
Hotsos Enterprises, Ltd.
http://www.hotsos.com

Upcoming events:

- Hotsos Clinic, Dec 9-11 Honolulu
- Hotsos Clinic 101, Jan 7-9 Knoxville
- Steve Adams's Miracle Master Class, Jan 13-15 Copenhagen
- 2003 Hotsos Symposium, Feb 9-12 Dallas

Author: Jesse, Rich
  INET: Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com

Author: Cary Millsap
  INET: cary.millsap_at_hotsos.com