RE: Open Source Security Comes Under Fire

From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM>
Date: Wed, 04 Dec 2002 08:54:23 -0800

Okay, since I provided the original remark that provoked this line of discussion, let me clarify. The organization I was asking whether they were a shill for Microsoft is the Aberdeen Group, the people that did the report that made Microsoft look great and Linux look bad. I don't think it matters which news organization reports the findings, since Aberdeen is a fairly prominent organization. I did a search and found the name of the organizations that Oracle had investigated. Here is the news excerpt:

Oracle hired Investigative Group International to probe two research organizations, the Independence Institute and the National Taxpayers Union. The company sought to verify links between Microsoft and the organizations during its antitrust trial--and even tried to buy trash from another research group with close ties to Microsoft. Oracle told Bloomberg News today it discovered that the two organizations were misrepresenting themselves as independent advocacy groups when they were in fact funded by Microsoft. Oracle said the company hired the detective agency because the organizations were releasing studies supporting Microsoft during the antitrust trial. The financial ties between the organizations were reported by The Wall Street Journal and The Washington Post.

Dennis Williams
DBA, 40%OCP
Lifetouch, Inc.
dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com