Re: Recipe for application design to run on RAC

From: Boris Dali <boris_dali_at_yahoo.ca>
Date: Wed, 04 Dec 2002 07:53:58 -0800

Whoa! Tim, thanks a lot for sharing this. Quite an insight.

So SELECTs are not a concern. INSERTs are a "come and see DBA" thing (physical design issue).
DELETEs are relatively infrequent and many get translated into UPDATE (logical as opposed to physical delete).

Application "partitioning" as you clearly explained in your email... Would it be closer to a logical or physical design?
Seems like something that data modeler/architect should be aware of. So in a sense all modeler needs to worry about is UPDATEs as far as future physical implementation for RAC is concerned?

The reason I get stuck on "phys vs logical" here is because client I am with has a clear separation between the two.
It's not only different people that deal with it, but in fact different vendors.

<soapbox>
Some background (I probably should've included it in my original post):
Mission critical system to replace around 30 small in-house developed apps and do some business re-engineering as we go :(
Data modeling is done by one vendor, development by another (don't ask), DB support and maintenance are left for internal DBA staff

One of the conditions that CTO office "mentioned" to the modeling company is to keep HA requirements (not really defined yet - but that's another story) in mind.
Ok, they turn around bring the data model and declare that they not only "kept it in mind", but in fact their model is "RAC aware".
Well I can't describe how happy damanagement is - such a successful choice they made (to pick this particular company)!
But the curious side of me wonders how this data model is different from the one designed for a single node DB?
</soapbox>

And another thing. Tim, you explained clearly how application should be assessed for non-RAC to RAC migration.
In my case however application exists mostly on paper (not taking into account these 30 micky mouse apps - the new system suppose to cover much more than that).

  1. I guess simulation would be one way to estimate SQL statements of the app and make a decision on whether it can scale on RAC well or not. (And BTW simulation might be worth the trouble irrespective of whether we use RAC or we don't) But frankly so far I've seen prototyping or simulation for the sake of sizing, capacity planning, understanding DML and query profiles, critical tx, memory footprint required etc, etc... only in James Moorle book :( That is not prototyping for the sake of "getting client involved at the early development stages" - that's been done with all new apps here. And not benchmarking of already existing application, but the one that hasn't been developed yet.
  2. More importantly simulation is obviously the most expensive of all alternatives. Analytical modeling of some sort would be much more welcomed by damanagement.

What would be your take on this? How new essentially designed from scratch app can be assessed if it can scale well on RAC?

Thanks again for your help!

Author: Boris Dali
  INET: boris_dali_at_yahoo.ca