Re: image storage confusion ??

From: Mark J. Bobak <mark_at_bobak.net>
Date: Wed, 04 Dec 2002 00:23:49 -0800

Not to mention, backups can take a REALLY long time, unless you backup the raw volume image, in which case you can only restore at the filesystem level.

On Tue, 2002-12-03 at 14:44, Connor McDonald wrote:
> Exactly.
>
> We had a system that used to drag emails (from qmail
> so each mail was a file) into clobs in the database.
> After a year or so we had about 15 million emails in
> the database - no problems at all.
>
> Then one day the some idiot (aka me) put a new version
> of the program in which successfully loaded the clob
> but (to cut a long story short) started replicating
> the email files left, right and centre...It took
> literally days to clean up millions of (zero byte
> size) files...after which point that file system
> needed to be rebuilt anyway, the directory structure
> was in such a mess
>
> Cheers
> Connor
>
> --- Jared.Still_at_radisys.com wrote: > Arup,
> >
> > What Connor may have been referring to is the
> > inefficiency
> > of managing 20 million files in a filesystem.
> >
> > That's a lot of inodes ( assuming unix ). It's a
> > bit much
> > for a filesystem to deal with.
> >
> > Jared
> >

> > "Arup Nanda" <arupnanda_at_hotmail.com>
> > Sent by: root_at_fatcity.com
> > 12/03/2002 07:14 AM
> > Please respond to ORACLE-L
> >

> > To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L
> > <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
> > cc:
> > Subject: Re: image storage confusion
> > ??
> >

> > Connor,
> >
> > I seem to think otherwise. Storing 100 GB of image
> > is not necessarily a
> > pretty proposition either when you consider hot
> > backups and archived log
> > generation, etc. I presume you are concerned about
> > the management of the
> > image files considering the sheer volume of it. But
> > that's precisely what
> > BFILE is expected to help with. The images are in a
> > file ssytem and the
> > pointers are in the database and that's managed
> > pretty well.
> >
> > However I do concede tht this might pose a problem
> > on two fronts -
> > (1) Security - beign on filesystem anyone can
> > potentially see these.
> > However
> > this is not necesarily a concern at all sites. Good
> > OS security can
> > prevent
> > this.
> > (2) Backup - the ssy admin has to explicitly backup
> > all these files. This,
> > again, may not be that bad when you store your files
> > on a single
> > filesystem
> > and a backup software can be easily programmed to
> > check only the changed
> > files, based on timestamp.
> >
> > Just my two cents.
> >
> > Arup Nanda

Mark J. Bobak
Oracle DBA
mark_at_bobak.net
"It is not enough to have a good mind.  The main thing is to use it
well."
 						-- Rene Descartes
Author: Mark J. Bobak
  INET: mark_at_bobak.net