Help with Java

From: John Weatherman <john.weatherman_at_replacements.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Dec 2002 10:24:31 -0800

All,

I am beginning the journey into JAVA and have hit an odd behavior (well, probably not, but I can't see any reason for it). I am building a list of tablespaces and the datafiles that belong to them. The open to the database is working fine. When I use:

 ResultSet myTablespaces = myStatement.executeQuery(

"SELECT tablespace_name " +
"FROM dba_tablespaces " +
"WHERE contents = 'PERMANENT'"

  );

  while (myTablespaces.next()) {
    // retrieve the user from the row in the ResultSet using the     // getString() method
    ct = ct + 1;
    String tablespace = myTablespaces.getString(1);     System.out.println("Tablespace " + ct + " is: " + tablespace);   }
  myTablespace.close();

I am generating a list of tablespaces and the output is as expected. When I add a second result set, the first datafile of the first tablespace returns and then the program completes:

 ResultSet myTablespaces = myStatement.executeQuery(

"SELECT tablespace_name " +
"FROM dba_tablespaces " +
"WHERE contents = 'PERMANENT'"

  );
  while (myTablespaces.next()) {
    // retrieve the user from the row in the ResultSet using the     // getString() method
    ct = ct + 1;
    String tablespace = myTablespaces.getString(1);     System.out.println("Tablespace " + ct + " is: " + tablespace);

    ResultSet myDataFiles = myStatement.executeQuery(

      "SELECT file_name " +
      "FROM   dba_data_files " +
      "WHERE  tablespace_name = '" + tablespace + "'"
    );

    while (myDataFiles.next()) {

      String filename = myDataFiles.getString(1);
      System.out.println("  " + filename);
    }
    myDataFiles.close();
  }
  myTablespaces.close();

Anybody with some Java experience have any insite?

As always, TIA,

John P Weatherman
Database Administrator
Replacements Ltd.

Author: John Weatherman
  INET: john.weatherman_at_replacements.com