RE: image storage confusion ??

From: Fink, Dan <Dan.Fink_at_mdx.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Dec 2002 08:48:58 -0800

Excellent points all around. I am dealing with these issues currently. The original design was to use BFILE and external files. Now, they are leaning towards BLOBs. Here are some points to consider.

If the system design calls for a standby or other backup site, you have to remember to replicate database and external changes. Recovery of the database may require restoration of external files. If you use BFILEs, are they on a dedicated drive or sharing space with other data/files?
If you use BLOBs and they are not updated, set them in separate tablespaces and make the ts read only. Backup once and then take it out of the backup cycle, but make sure you save the backup for a good, long time!

Dan Fink

Author: Arup Nanda
  INET: arupnanda_at_hotmail.com

Author: Fink, Dan