RE: patches

From: <John.Hallas_at_vodafone.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 02 Dec 2002 05:44:00 -0800

I think I veer towards Yechiel's view here Patrice. I am not sure I have ever heard anyone suggest applying all outstanding relevant patches to a database however much you test first. (To be honest you are not advocating that, just raising the question).
Normal policy wherever I have worked is not to patch unless absolutely necessary.

Another point is that 1 patch can provide a new code piece of binary and patches are not cumulative. Therefore applying patch a then patch b could well mean that patch a is overwritten and yet your documentation indicates that it has been installed.

HTH   John

Author: <John.Hallas_at_vodafone.co.uk
  INET: John.Hallas_at_vodafone.co.uk

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Mon Dec 02 2002 - 07:44:00 CST