Was: Recipe for application design to run on RAC, Now: Oracle nam

From: John Kanagaraj <john.kanagaraj_at_hds.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2002 11:49:23 -0800

Hemant,

After having rolled out ONAMES twice in two large organizationations, it was apparent that the technicalities of ONAMES in itself is simple. It is in the compilation and reconciliation of the various entries, their variations and having to deal with the different default_domain/zone names as well as rolling out of the updated SQLNET.ORA to the desktop lies the challenge. You will _have_ to get the developers and other parties to co-operate and agree on both implementing and going forward with ONAMES. I would suggest a pilot first with a few developers and then a larger rollout, so the developers can see the benefits. I used a Server partitioning project (in 10.7 Apps) to push this through. I was fortunate that we had centralized the TNS files on NT fileservers in the previous organization and had the luxury of using SMS in the latter. The key, as I said before, is getting all the entries in and getting everyone to co-operate in using the new service (and not deviating by creating local TNS entries).

I do agree with Rich about the alias/entry modification - you need to capture the _exact_ entry for deregistration/registration. I did not go OID because of instability and the need to cater to older 7.3 databases/homes. Although Oracle has been threatening to drop ONAMES, the story is similar to the RBO - it lives on, even in 10i, although in an unsupported mode. And the current ONS has an option of export to OID (not sure about import?). There are not many knowledgable people within Oracle support who can help on ONAMES btw - you are pretty much on your own in many ways.

I am still amazed by the large number of even large organizations that do not use ONAMES, let alone OID, so don't feel bad. And learn Perl - I forced myself to learn and use Perl when I was handling and merging all the different TNSNAMES.ORA files. Let me know offline if you need specifics.

John Kanagaraj
Oracle Applications DBA
DB Soft Inc
Work : (408) 970 7002