Re: Oracle on windows and shadow thread file access

From: Jeff Herrick <jherrick_at_igs.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2002 08:43:50 -0800

Jeremiah

I _did_ say the background oracle 'processes' meaning lgwr,dbwr,ckpt threads on Win32 specifically. My understanding from the question was that he was wondering whether each user's process in a dedicated-server configuration opened all of the datafiles too

....but I might have mis-understood the question.

On Fri, 29 Nov 2002, Jeremiah Wilton wrote:

> On Fri, 29 Nov 2002, Jeff Herrick wrote:
>
> > None...only the oracle background processes (threads in Winblows)
> > access the datafiles/logfiles etc. All other communication is
> > done through the SGA. On some Unix variants you _can_ reach
> > a file_open max kernel parameter because each process (in a
> > dedicated server scenario) opens it's own stdin/stdout/stderr.
> > I guess the same could be true of processes running under
> > windows too. So in the limit...you could hit a wall but only
> > due to the per-process overhead.
>
> Uh, I'm probably not going to be the only one to point out this isn't
> true. I don't know about Win32 thread architecture, but in Unix and
> unix-like operating systems, the shadow (server) processes each open
> whatever files they need for write. It is true that they also open
> the shared memory segments in order to write and read from the SGA,
> but they do the reading from disk. Otherwise, which process do you
> think is reading from the datafiles?

[snip]

Author: Jeff Herrick
  INET: jherrick_at_igs.net