Performance on TRU64 Cluster

From: Rajesh Dayal <Rajesh_at_ohitelecom.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2002 00:23:59 -0800

Hi Guys,

        We are in the process of configuring Oracle 9i Release 2 on TRU64 Cluster (2 ES40s with RA3000, with SCSI cluster N/W no FC Channel ). So far we have done just the installation( No database creation). The problem is that System looks very slow. Perform is perfectly OK when you perform some activity on single node, but the moment you try to do same thing on both the nodes, it is having problems and takes hell lot of time. For example while starting gsd domain, from one nodes it takes fraction of second, while from other it takes atleast 10-15 seconds. Even while running root.sh this was damn slow on both the nodes, and took at least 10 good minutes. Is IT Normal??? I can't imagine this to be a normal behavior.

Well, here are my Kernal Parameters, that I tried to change before installation...

proc:

max_per_proc_address_space = 2 gig
per_proc_address_space = 2gig
per_proc_stack_size = 33554432
max_per_proc_stack_size = 500m
per_proc_data_size = 201326592

vm:
new_wire_method = 0
vm_swap_eager = 1 "Earlier this was set as vm-swap-eager = 1 and not vm_swap_eager =1 "
ubc_maxpercent = 70
gh_chunks = 518 " I tried setting this to 518 but after booting this comes out to be 0 "

vfs
fifo_do_adaptive defaults = 0
ipc:

shm_max = 2139095040
shm_mni = 256
shm_min = 1
shm_seg = 1024
ssm_threshold = 0          "I tried setting this to be 0 but after
booting this has become a very large value (atleast 20 digit value)"

rdg:

msg_size = 32768
max_objs = 5120
max_async_req = 256
max_sessions = 200
rdg_max_auto_msg_wires = 0
rdg_auto_msg_wires = 0

rt:
aio_task_max_num = 300 "I tried setting this to be 300 but after booting this has become 307"

Hope someone would provide me their Kernal Parameter values and help trouble-shooting me. Could this performance problem be related to some hardware problem?? So far Hardware is also not fully tested, and this is a brand new setup.

While bringing the system up we see some errors messages related to Eager Swap mode and Asynch I/O.

Appreciate your help,
Rajesh

Author: Rajesh Dayal
  INET: Rajesh_at_ohitelecom.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Fri Nov 29 2002 - 02:23:59 CST