Internals: setting oracle event 10052 -turn off smon from cleaning deleted objects (bug)

From: Jonas Rosenthal <oracleminded_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2002 08:03:42 -0800

Hi..

we are several months away from upgrading to 8.1.7.4 from 8.1.7.1 to resolve several oracle bugs including smons behavior of crashing when cleaning up oracle space from deleted entries in the obj$ table. In the meantime, Oracle suggested we set the 10052 event to turn of Smon from performing obj$ space cleanup.

We are a four node ops cluster (HP), 3 oltp and 1 batch.

Questions:

1)What kind of entries are cleaned up.
2)Is there a danger to extent management in the obj$ table of "deleted but no cleaned up entries".

3)Is it reasonable to just shut down one node once a week, restart it for 20 minutes with smon enabled during our maintenance window and restart with 10052 re-enabled?

4)Any suggestions, pointers, or folks with bad experiences using this event?

Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Mail Plus - Powerful. Affordable. Sign up now. http://mailplus.yahoo.com

Author: Jonas Rosenthal
  INET: oracleminded_at_yahoo.com
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Thu Nov 28 2002 - 10:03:42 CST