Re: How to transfer data in different NLS_CHARACTER

From: Stephane Faroult <sfaroult_at_oriole.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 23:53:39 -0800

??? wrote:

> Dear all ,
>
> How to transfer data from 2 oracle server with different NLS_LANG ?
>
> NLS_LANG=Traditional Chinese_Taiwan.ZHT16BIG5
> NLS_LANG=American_America.WE8ISO8859P1
>
> Thanks in advance.
> Martin Chen

Martin,

   Although I have of late had some interest in chinese character sets, I am still a novice at the way Oracle implements and handles them, but basically one character set has to be a superset of the other if you want things to work. If ZHT16BIG5 is the two-byte code it looks to be AND if codes 0 to 255 match the corresponding code in WE8ISO8859P1, then you can probably export from the 'western' database and import into the 'eastern' one (not the other way round). Personally I would worry about the 128 to 255 range, which contains all the various accentuated or plainly weird characters which spice up German, French, Italian, Danish, Norwegian, Swedish, Finnish, Icelandic perhaps, Spanish, and slavic languages (I hope to have forgotten nobody). If you cannot find them in ZHT, even if you do not use them, I fear that West will stay west, that east will stay east, and that the twain shall not meet, at least as far as imp and exp are concerned.
I think that in that case the best you have to do is to rely on plain flat files, which you can doctor at will if needed. Then tell SQL*Loader something plausible about the character set, and it should work.

--
HTH,

Stephane Faroult
Oriole Software