Re:The future DBAs?

From: <Jared.Still_at_radisys.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 14:19:40 -0800

Personally, I like Data Architecture.

And data modeling. I never could get enough of that. The hard part is explaining to people that don't quite understand the concept.

Dave Hay rules!

Being the sole DBA for the company, I don't get nearly enough opportunities for this anymore, and don't have the time for much of it anyway.

Jared

dgoulet_at_vicr.com
Sent by: root_at_fatcity.com
 11/26/2002 10:04 AM
 Please respond to ORACLE-L

        To:     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
        cc:
        Subject:        Re:The future DBAs?

Well, I give MicroSlop pretty poor grades for predicting the future and Monster.com is absolutely useless (naw make that less than) at job stuff in
general. I will agree with the person who wrote the article on one point.  The
job of being a DBA is changing and we all need to remain flexible to remain
useful in the marketplace. That in some cases means spreading our wings from
the historical role of DBA. We may need to become part time (or full time) data
architects, reporting tool experts, etc... But in the end, I don't see us degrading to the level of an order entry clerk nor order entry clerks upgrading
to DBA's. As usual the MicroSlop propaganda machine is at work again.

Dick Goulet

Author: "Arup Nanda" <arupnanda_at_hotmail.com>
Date:       11/25/2002 5:48 PM

Fellow DBAs and other DBA wannabes,

Ever wondered the best path into a DBA career? Microsoft offers a brilliant
way. MSN Careers at http://editorial.careers.msn.com/articles/nofuture/ suggests some jobs are effectively dead, like farmers and sewing machine operators and how the experts in that field can progress to the next logical
career move. Guess which profession's logical career move is database administrator? See the excerpt from the webpage here in the attachment as a
picture.

I just couldn't resist posting it here. May be they are referring to SQL Server DBAs?

Arup Nanda

  INET: Jared.Still_at_radisys.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Tue Nov 26 2002 - 16:19:40 CST