Re: BackupExec & Oracle

From: Yechiel Adar <adar76_at_inter.net.il>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 06:29:05 -0800

BackupExec & OracleWe use BackupExec for remote sites. We installed the agent on the database server and configure the backup jobs from the BackupExec menus and all is well. We did a test yesterday and restored a database to a new computer and all works fine.

When restoring to the original server it does all right. When restoring to another machine, via redirection, I creates a folder for each tablespace and put in the folder the datafiles that belong to this tablespace, including a folder for the control files. You have to manually move the datafiles to the correct place to start up the database.

Apart from that quirk it works fine.
Oracle 8.1.6 on NT/2000.

Yechiel Adar
Mehish

  Hello Everyone!

  I found out on Friday that my backup strategy has been NULL AND VOID out in Las Vegas. (Read: Nothing has been written to tape lately. Thanks, Guys) I was also notified that "effective immediately" Veritas BackupExec is the software we are using.

  Any gotchas/experiences/comments from people who have used Backup Exec and the associated Oracle utility? Do you trust BackupExec to fire your rman backups, complete correct rman restores, etc.? I have shied away from writing directly to tape in the past but don't have the luxury of disk for rman backups anymore.

  I'm on Windows 2000 sp2, Oracle version 8.1.7.2

  Any comments are appreciated. Thanks

  Lisa Koivu
  Oracle Database Monkey and Terrible Perl Coder.   Fairfield Resorts, Inc.
  5259 Coconut Creek Parkway
  Ft. Lauderdale, FL, USA 33063

Author: Yechiel Adar
  INET: adar76_at_inter.net.il

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Tue Nov 26 2002 - 08:29:05 CST