RE: basic question about db_name and sid

From: sstefick <sstefick_at_harper.cc.il.us>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 18:04:05 -0800

First, it is true that you can have a different SID than your database name. This is usually not recommended because it causes a lot of confusion, but it is possible and there may be some reason out there to have them different. In that case I wouldn't be the one who can tell you why.

The SID is actually the "System Identifier" which is made up of Oracle's Memory and Processes. When you separate the two (SID / DB NAME) The DB NAME is the name of the collection of all of the physical files (ex. Datafiles, Redo log files, control files).

Technically, the component that find the database are the initSID.ora file. This is where the "Control File" parameters are specified. Then the Log file and Datafile definitions and locations are stored inside the Control file.

-Scott Stefick

Author: sstefick
  INET: sstefick_at_harper.cc.il.us