RE: BackupExec & Oracle

From: Mandar A. Ghosalkar <mghosalk_at_byer.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 13:34:19 -0800

we use backupexec 8.6 and it does not lock oracle files on NT4 or win2k.

if u use the purge options and create a archivelog purge job and u hv some antivirus s/w like norton, then the access times get messed up and backupexec is not able to pick up files properly.

netbackup uses rman/ebu. backupexec does not use rman/ebu. it has its own oracle agent which puts tablespaces in backup mode and takes them out.

pretty reliable and i hv tested out the recoveries. a scheduled windows

u just need to make sure that admins keep enough tapes in the dlt's. the only problems i face is that the backup job is waiting for more tapes.

the only drawback is commandline and reporting aspect. in netbackup on unix i could use available_media script and find out how much is the tape used. i hv yet to figure this out in backupexec.

-Mandar

Author: Mandar A. Ghosalkar
  INET: mghosalk_at_byer.com