Re: Anyone else had a Virus alert for Stephane Faroult's email ?

From: Pat Hildebrand <pat_at_ssc.upenn.edu>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 13:09:48 -0800

It probably is not coming from where it appears. We have an alias for a group of us that field questions on a particular application. Every once in awhile we get a message that this virus has been found in a message that we have sent (supposedly from this alias). Since we are not sending under that alias we know that it is coming from somewhere else.

Apparently when a machine is infected it sends out messages randomly using addresses from the addressbook for the to, from, and reply to. I'm guessing that if it is using an actual message for the basis of this it could also be using the from as well as the subject of that message.

                          Pat

Author: Pat Hildebrand
  INET: pat_at_ssc.upenn.edu