RE: Klez Worm Info

From: MacGregor, Ian A. <ian_at_SLAC.Stanford.EDU>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 12:44:04 -0800

The Klez worm fakes its from address. Try checking the offending message's header to see whom it is actually from.

Things are not always simple. A short time ago, I was asked if I had a virus as someone was receiving multiple copies of mail I sent to either this list or lazydba. I made the usual protestations of living a good life and having "protected" mail. The person replied they received six copies of my denial. That same day maintenance was being done and our mail gateway was temporarily closed. I received a message saying an outgoing mail message was blocked by this closure; the one saying, "No way is it I." Before I apologized, many times over :), I queried our postmaster about the problem. She explained that the site which was receiving multiple copies was running a mail program with a bug. The bug kept the system from sending an acknowledgement of receipt to our system. Having received no receipt, our system was resending the message over and over again. She contacted their postmaster and I trust all is well.

Ian MacGregor
Stanford Linear Accelerator Center
ian_at_SLAC.Stanford.edu

Author: Stephane Faroult
  INET: sfaroult_at_oriole.com

to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from).  You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing).
Author: MacGregor, Ian A.
  INET: ian_at_SLAC.Stanford.EDU