Re[2]: Ltrim?

From: Robert Eskridge <bryny_at_dfweahs.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 08:34:14 -0800

Roland,

By now you've seen several messages showing you the cron syntax to get you task to start at the time you want. There is characteristic of cron that seems to catch first time users -- the environment settings. As a shell users you'll be used to having your .profile or .login
(or similar script depending on what shell you use) run and set up
your environment. And when you run "at" or "batch" jobs your current environment is passed on to those scripts. Job's that start from your "crontab" on the other hand, have a stripped down environment.

Try running a crontab command that just does a "set" and compare the email output to the environment that you have when you are at a shell prompt and the differences will be obvious. You'll probably see major differences in $PATH and $ORACLE_HOME, either of which could keep your script from executing properly.

The solution is to set your own environment every time a crontab task starts. I keep a stripped down version of my .profile that I name .cron_profile that has the environment I need to run sqlplus scripts. Then my crontab entries look like:

0 6 * * 1 . $HOME/.cron_profile; script_name

-rje

Author: Robert Eskridge
  INET: bryny_at_dfweahs.net