RE: New development in Cobol or PL/SQL - please help

From: Babette Turner-Underwood <babette_at_rogers.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 15:54:01 -0800

Thanks for all the comments....
I did do a little more digging.

I found out that the reason they are using Cobol is that there are Cobol programs that have the business logic for doing benefit calculations. They do not want to re-write those modules. So they are doing the entire application in Cobol and only using the database as a place to save the data.

As far as staff and skills, the current job market has an excess of persons with PL/SQL skills. So I don't think the decisions was made with any respect to how many people will be able to maintain this over the next 10 years. The number of people with COBOL skills is declining at the organization. But if they keep doing new development in COBOL, then maybe they will be able to convince the younger programmers to learn it :-P

I will have to look into the MQ-Series module for Oracle that was mentionned.

Author: Babette Turner-Underwood
  INET: babette_at_rogers.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Wed Nov 20 2002 - 17:54:01 CST