RE: Query tuning with tablename alias

From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 11:58:51 -0800

Wendy - I think the difference between using an alias or not is negligible. My reasoning is that this would be easy to test (good idea if you have a moment) and there are enough picky Oracle developers that if this was not negligible, people would have been bragging about this as their secret method to make their application faster, and some vendors would be selling SQL pre-processors that would allow you to "use aliases without penalty". So I wouldn't worry about it, but you are welcome to test this and if you can find a difference, we would all be glad to hear about it. It has happened before, where everyone has assumed they knew the answer and later it turned out that something simple was a bad assumption.

Dennis Williams
DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.
dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com <mailto:dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com>

Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS
  INET: DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Wed Nov 20 2002 - 13:58:51 CST