OCI hang until TCP timeout on an established connection

From: Johnston, Tim <TJohnston_at_quallaby.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 11:23:30 -0800

Hi Guys...

  I have an application with a remote client...  The client is written in
Smalltalk and connects to the database via OCI...  It establishes a
connection to the database and keeps it open...  If the network link between
the remote client and the server fails, the remote client does not realize it until the next attempt to communicate with the database... This is fine... The problem is that once it does try to communicate with the database it waits 8 minutes after the attempt before returning the ORA-3113... I have done a little search and so far come up empty... I am hesitate to muck with the tcp parameters due to side effects (i.e. tcp_ip_abort_interval)... Does anyone have an idea how I can reduce the timeout delay without changing tcp parms? Has anyone experienced a similar issue and solved it some other way?

Solaris 9
Oracle 9.2.0.2

Thanks in advance...

Regards,
Tim Johnston
Tel: 978-322-4226
Fax: 978-322-4100

Author: Johnston, Tim
  INET: TJohnston_at_quallaby.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Wed Nov 20 2002 - 13:23:30 CST