Negative value for Consistent gets etc. in V$Sesstat

From: Naveen Nahata <naveen_nahata_at_mindtree.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 21:34:09 -0800

Hi All,

There is one report which takes 12 hours to run during the off hours. And that too on a database 6Gb in size!!!!! The report was designed by the consultants and all the queries in the report were doing a nested loops joins on many tables, optimizer mode was RULE. After changing the optimizer mode to CHOOSE, still no effect. Then I rewrote the report to use joins instead of 'SELECT a row, run query for that row, then select another row, run query for that row......'(written in Oracle Reports) the run time came crashing down to 10 Secs. (Hard to believe!!).

Now for the question.

After running the report for a few hours I terminate the report and see the values in V$sesstat. It is showing me negative values for Consistent gets etc.... When the report was running i ran the same query on v$sesstat, at that moment it was showing Consistent gets - 47 million approx.

  1. Why is it showing negative values?
  2. What does stat 'no work - consistent read gets' mean?

OUTPUT ONE HOUR AFTER THE REPORT STARTED:

SQL> SELECT NAME, VALUE FROM V$SESSTAT A, V$STATNAME B WHERE A.SID=16 AND VALUE != 0
  2 AND A.STATISTIC# = B.STATISTIC#
  3 ORDER BY VALUE DESC
  4 /
NAME                                                             VALUE
----------------------------------------------------------- ----------
session connect time                                         478385736
process last non-idle time                                   478385736
consistent gets                                               47024111
session logical reads                                         47024106
no work - consistent read gets                                36724753
buffer is not pinned count                                    36650911
table fetch by rowid                                          36643847
buffer is pinned count                                        36569847
session pga memory                                             1651312
session pga memory max                                         1651312
session uga memory                                             1589476
session uga memory max                                         1589476
bytes sent via SQL*Net to client                                156588
CPU used when call started                                       81035
CPU used by this session                                         81035
bytes received via SQL*Net from client                           48012
sorts (rows)                                                     16390
table fetch continued row                                         6650
SQL*Net roundtrips to/from client                                 2043
user calls                                                        2033
execute count                                                      788
calls to get snapshot scn: kcmgss                                  786
parse count (total)                                                 17
opened cursors cumulative                                           12
table scan blocks gotten                                            11
recursive calls                                                      9
parse count (hard)                                                   9
db block gets                                                        9
opened cursors current                                               6
enqueue requests                                                     5
enqueue releases                                                     5
cursor authentications                                               5
parse time elapsed                                                   4
table scans (short tables)                                           3
parse time cpu                                                       2
logons cumulative                                                    1
sorts (memory)                                                       1
logons current                                                       1

38 rows selected.

STATS 10 HOURS AFTER THE REPORT STARTED RUNNING

--------------------------------------------------------- ----------
session connect time                                       478385736
process last non-idle time                                 478385736
bytes sent via SQL*Net to client                             8649748
CPU used when call started                                   4599084
CPU used by this session                                     4599084
bytes received via SQL*Net from client                       3243913
session pga memory                                           1659824
session pga memory max                                       1659824
session uga memory                                           1589476
session uga memory max                                       1589476
table fetch continued row                                     418866
SQL*Net roundtrips to/from client                             123579
user calls                                                    123569
execute count                                                  49284
calls to get snapshot scn: kcmgss                              49282
sorts (rows)                                                   16390
redo size                                                         60
consistent changes                                                17
parse count (total)                                               17
data blocks consistent reads - undo records applied               17
opened cursors cumulative                                         12
free buffer requested                                             11
CR blocks created                                                 11
table scan blocks gotten                                          11
rollbacks only - consistent read gets                             10
recursive calls                                                    9
db block gets                                                      9
parse count (hard)                                                 9
opened cursors current                                             6
enqueue requests                                                   5
enqueue releases                                                   5
cursor authentications                                             5
parse time elapsed                                                 4
table scans (short tables)                                         3
parse time cpu                                                     2
logons cumulative                                                  1
logons current                                                     1
redo small copies                                                  1
cleanouts and rollbacks - consistent read gets                     1
sorts (memory)                                                     1
immediate (CR) block cleanout applications                         1
redo entries                                                       1
db block changes                                                   1
consistent gets                                           -1.331E+09
session logical reads                                     -1.331E+09
no work - consistent read gets                            -1.980E+09
buffer is not pinned count                                -1.985E+09

NAME                                                           VALUE
table fetch by rowid                                      -1.985E+09
buffer is pinned count                                    -1.990E+09

Regards
Naveen

Author: Naveen Nahata
  INET: naveen_nahata_at_mindtree.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Tue Nov 19 2002 - 23:34:09 CST