Re: Tivoli and RMAN

From: Donald Bricker <Don.Bricker_at_epa.state.il.us>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 10:55:07 -0800

Joe,
My understanding is as follows.

The environment variables that Tivoli is referring to are TSM variables such as DSMO_NODE (which is now TDPO_NODE) and DSMI_ORC_CONFIG. These are environment variables that TDP recognizes and uses.

The environment variables you are referring to are used by RMAN. Those can reamin the way they are set up now.

The following is what needs to be changed. Old Way
allocate channel for maintenance type 'sbt_tape' parms 'ENV=(DSMO_NODE=tora,
DSMI_ORC_CONFIG=/opt/tivoli/tsm/client/oracle/bin/dsm.opt

New Way
allocate channel for maintenance type 'sbt_tape' parms 'ENV=(TDPO_OPTFILE=/opt/tivoli/tsm/client/oracle/bin/tdpo.opt

Contents of tdpo.opt

DSMI_ORC_CONFIG /opt/tivoli/tsm/client/oracle/bin/dsm.opt DSMI_LOG /opt/tivoli/tsm/client/oracle/bin/tdpoerror.log

TDPO_FS           rman_fs
TDPO_NODE         tora

*TDPO_OWNER <username>
TDPO_PSWDPATH /opt/tivoli/tsm/client/oracle/bin
*TDPO_DATE_FMT 1
*TDPO_NUM_FMT 1
*TDPO_TIME_FMT 1

*TDPO_MGMT_CLASS2 mgmtclass2
*TDPO_MGMT_CLASS3 mgmtclass3
*TDPO_MGMT_CLASS4 mgmtclass4

Don Bricker
Database Administrator / System Administrator Illinois Environmental Protection Agency 1021 North Grand Avenue East
Mail Code #32
Springfield, IL 62794-9276
Donald.Bricker_at_epa.state.il.us
(217) 558-2290

>>> JTESTA_at_longaberger.com 11/19/02 12:26PM >>> Hello all, just finished reading the chapter on RMAN/Tivoli and a .pdf on installation.

It appears NO environment variables are read when using tivoli that all "enviroment stuff" has to be put in the tdpo.opt file.

so all of the scripts that we wrote that uses enviroment variables will have to be canned?

take for example this:

$ORACLE_HOME/bin/rman << EOF > ${LOGFILE_NAME} 2>&1

# this is for controlfile backups, connect to catalog and target databases
# allocate one channel based on rmantab values, archive the current log,
# resync catalog, so its up to date and backup the current controlfile.

   connect catalog $CUSER_PASS
   connect target $DUSER_PASS

   run{
     allocate channel d1 type disk format "${BACKUP_CHANNEL_1}/${ORACLE_SID}_arc_${BACKUP_TYPE}_on_${DATETIME}_%p_%s.rman";

     setlimit channel d1 kbytes 2097150 maxopenfiles 32 readrate 200;

     sql 'ALTER SYSTEM ARCHIVE LOG CURRENT';
     resync catalog;
     backup  current controlfile;
     release channel d1;

}

EOF exit $?

If anyone is using tivoli in conjunction w/rman and has good/bad stuff to say about it, kindly let me know.

thanks, joe

Author: Donald Bricker
  INET: Don.Bricker_at_epa.state.il.us