moving from dedicated connections to MTS

From: Yechiel Adar <adar76_at_inter.net.il>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 08:24:02 -0800

Hello all

First a little background.

We work with oracle 8.1.6.3.4 on NT or win2000 servers. The technical people have just move an application server behind a firewall. The application servers access a database that is a central repository of user connections (i.e. all applications on the intranet access this database for each page for each user). They saw that the application works fine for a while and then they get access denied. They track it down to the port numbers in the firewall. We are working with dedicated connections and it seems that the port numbers for each connections are climbing up until they exceeded the range of open ports in the firewall. They said that they had the same problems in another server, they brought an outside guy (of course without telling the DBA group) and he solved the problem. They brought me the init.ora file of that database (I can not access it via the firewall) and showed me the parameters that made the difference. The guy put in: mts_dispatchers= ... port=8000) (5 dispatchers). Since they want me to do it on a central and essential database I want to ask you guys:

  1. Any gotcha moving from dedicated connections to MTS?
  2. Is each dispatcher assigned for the current sql command and then released or is it assigned for the duration of the session?
  3. What is the ratio of users per dispatcher?
  4. Is there a way to tell oracle to reuse port numbers for dedicated connections that were closed?
  5. Anything else you care to share.

Sorry if my questions are somewhat trivial but we need a decision tomorrow morning (in 18 hours) as they start doing some training session on the system on Sunday and time is short.

TIA Yechiel Adar
Mehish

Author: Yechiel Adar
  INET: adar76_at_inter.net.il

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Tue Nov 19 2002 - 10:24:02 CST