RE: Cognos Reporting Tool

From: dmalzahn <dmalzahn_at_harper.cc.il.us>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 07:14:31 -0800

We also have been using Impromptu for years (probably around 1994 or so). We really like it, have dozens of users using it. Even run our own little Impromptu Users Group meetings to share infromation. It's great to have end users more indpendant. We are still using the Client-server version. Have PowerPlay on the shelf, just never have time to get to it. In addition to having a seperate instance (perhaps an additinal machine), I'd recommend having a seperate person per application to support it, if you really want to have it be successful. I really like Cognos as a company, but when I get into a DW project I'd look around, Business Objects and others are out there. Check the TDWI website or conferences for great information. Additionally, Oracle and Microsoft are talking about including Business Intelligence (BI) in their products down the road. Someone like a Cognos might get swallowed up. But that's down the road.

Please feel free to contact me about this in more detail. I love talking about it.

Don Malzahn, IT/AS, Harper College
Voice: (847) 925-6829
E-mail: dmalzahn_at_harper.cc.il.us

Author: dmalzahn