Re: Cognos Reporting Tool

From: paquette stephane <stephane_paquette_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 19:33:26 -0800

On DW project, we have used Cognos Impromptu and Powerplay tool in 1998-1999. We used the client-server version as Powerplay for the web was a tool bought from another company and was not quite integrated with the other Cognos products.

The main drawback were that the Powerplay part to build the cubes was not scaling when using a multi-cpu box. There was no framework to guide the end-users with all the cubes we were producing. We had to develop one. Beside that, Cognos offer good products.

In 2001-2002, when working at a different client, the team selecting the reporting tool for the datawarehouse choose Business Objects saying that Cognos did not even make it to the short list. The runner-up was Brio ....

Stéphane Paquette
DBA Oracle et DB2, consultant entrepôt de données Oracle and DB2 DBA, datawarehouse consultant stephane_paquette_at_yahoo.com

Lèche-vitrine ou lèche-écran ?
magasinage.yahoo.ca
Author: =?iso-8859-1?q?paquette=20stephane?=
  INET: stephane_paquette_at_yahoo.com