Re[2]:RE: New development in Cobol or PL/SQL - please help

From: <dgoulet_at_vicr.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 15:52:14 -0800

Gene,

    Well at least I'm not the only one who got tossed out of the frypan into the fire!!

Dick Goulet

Author: "Gene Sais" <Gsais_at_co.palm-beach.fl.us>
Date:       11/18/2002 7:27 AM

I disagree with your last statement. Since IBM purchased informix, we are in battle with their so-called concurrent licensing ripoff.

>>> dgoulet_at_vicr.com 11/17/02 09:43PM >>> Ron,

    Thankyou, I appreciate it. And for the individual who proposed that it might be better to do it in Pro*Cobol for database independence. We have had the thought of dumping Oracle for it's DB/2 competitor, until we found out that DB/2 was no cheaper than Oracle in the end run. Probably the only benefit is that IBM is more slack on enforcing their licenses.

Dick Goulet

Author: Ron/Sarah Yount <ronwy_at_SWBELL.NET>
Date:       11/16/2002 2:53 PM

In the "for what it is worth" department:

In addition to Dick's comments (with which I agree)

Be careful how you approach this situation. If you wish to succeed, it may be key to let the powers that be know that you are not proposing bleeding edge solutions, and that looking down the road towards total cost of ownership and supporting the application, it may behoove them to consider something more mainstream.

Nobody ever truly wins a discussion by starting an argument with someone in a higher level of authority.

Perhaps you should inquire about the "why" of the decisions so you understand the key issues to address to propose a better one.

Good Luck,

Yep, even technical decisions require us to exercise high levels of diplomacy :-)

-Ron-

Author: "Babette Turner-Underwood" <babette_at_rogers.com>
Date:       11/15/2002 2:24 PM

I just found out today that we have a major development initiative that is starting and they are planning on using Pro*Cobol to develop the application. (my head is still shaking in disbelief!!!)

So we will have a Java front-end, invoking MQ series that will go across to the mainframe for MQ series to invoke Pro*Cobol programs that will then do the processing (accessing data and doing calculations) and then return data.

If anyone has been in this or a similar situation, please help. I need some really good arguments as to why we should put the business logic into PL/SQL instead of Pro*Cobol.

I understand the reason we are using Oracle is that the director has 15 years experience with it and loves it. Aaargh!!!

thanks
Babette

Author: Babette Turner-Underwood
  INET: babette_at_rogers.com

  INET: dgoulet_at_vicr.com

Author: Ron/Sarah Yount
  INET: ronwy_at_SWBELL.NET

  INET: dgoulet_at_vicr.com

Author: Gene Sais
  INET: Gsais_at_co.palm-beach.fl.us

  INET: dgoulet_at_vicr.com
to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Mon Nov 18 2002 - 17:52:14 CST