Running/Licensing Hyperthreaded Intel Pentium4 Xeon CPU's on Linu

From: Orr, Steve <sorr_at_rightnow.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 14:25:38 -0800

OK, I've got this new Dell Linux server with 4 "Hyperthreaded" Pentium4 Xeon CPU's. There are 4 physical CPU's but with hyperthreading the O/S sees 8 CPU's as is reported in top. I've installed Oracle on this machine and it seems to run as if there really were 8 CPU's. Could that be true? Is there a performance gain for Oracle? --As if I really did have 8 CPU's? How does this work? For init.ora tuning parameters should I count the 4 physical CPU's or the 8 virtual CPU's? Any reports on running Oracle/Linux on these hyperthreaded Pentium4 Xeon CPU's?

I'm afraid to ask Oracle about the licensing since they always answer with the higher number. ;-)

Steve Orr
Bozeman, Montana

Author: Orr, Steve
  INET: sorr_at_rightnow.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Mon Nov 18 2002 - 16:25:38 CST