RE: raw versus Mounted File Systems

From: Mark J. Bobak <mark_at_bobak.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 06:03:50 -0800

Dennis,

I think the paper you ae thinking of is "Makingthe decision to use raw devices", and it's MetaLink Doc ID 29676.1. It was written by this guy named Cary Millsap, who seems to think he knows a thing or two about Oracle performance tuning....;-)

-Mark

On Mon, 2002-11-18 at 08:28, DENNIS WILLIAMS wrote:
> Vivek - There used to be a good paper on Oracle's website. The paper asked
> the question: "If benchmarks show raw to be faster that file systems, why
> don't you see a difference in production?" The answer the paper provided is
> that on a well-tuned OLTP system, disk isn't the bottleneck. There are many
> users performing many different tasks simultaneously, and not everyone is
> sitting around waiting for disk. I looked around on Oracle's Web site, but I
> can't find the paper there now. Maybe someone else will recall this paper.
>
> Dennis Williams
> DBA, 40%OCP
> Lifetouch, Inc.
> dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com

Mark J. Bobak
Oracle DBA
mark_at_bobak.net
"It is not enough to have a good mind.  The main thing is to use it
well."
 						-- Rene Descartes
Author: Mark J. Bobak
  INET: mark_at_bobak.net