Re: Netbackup [#2]

From: Yechiel Adar <adar76_at_inter.net.il>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 03:43:23 -0800

Since no one else replied I will give you my experience:
(Backupexec for oracle 816 on NT/2000)

We are working with it and got backup speed up to 300MB per minute.

There are some limitations:

  1. Backupexec does not delete archive logs. We wrote a script that marked all existing archive logs before starting the backup and delete all the marked logs after the backup.
  2. When restoring to a different machine, Backupexec creates a folder for each tablespace and restore the datafiles to this folder. You need to move the datafiles to their place in order to start the database.
  3. Backupexec does not do recovery. You need to restore the archive logs that you think you need and then do recovery yourself.

Yechiel Adar
Mehish
Author: O'Neill, Sean
  INET: Sean.ONeill_at_organon.ie