Re: New development in Cobol or PL/SQL - please help

From: Yechiel Adar <adar76_at_inter.net.il>
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2002 09:43:24 -0800

If I understood correctly your whole application will be on the mainframe with web front end to interface with the users. We are a mainframe (mostly) company and we have dozens of Cobol programmer on the mainframe and NO sql programmer. (I have to fight the open system group to get at least ONE sql programmer so the DBA team will not have to write whatever sql programs the APPLICATIONS need).
So a new project on the mainframe will definitely be in Cobol. I still do not understand why they want Oracle on the mainframe. We are working with ADABAS and get very good result. Most other mainframe that I know use DB2. I have not heard of anyone using Oracle on mainframe (at least under IBM MVS).

Yechiel Adar
Mehish
Author: Yechiel Adar
  INET: adar76_at_inter.net.il