RE: surprising result:8CPU Sun 3500 VS 4CPU Dell 6650

From: Lyndon Tiu <ltiu_at_alumni.sfu.ca>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 09:07:02 -0800

We experienced the same problems at my work where dual P3 Xeons running at 1.133Mhz (Compaq Proliants) outperformed a SunFire280R 2:1 in I/O performance. This means that the Proliant had twice more throughput than the 5x more expensive Sun. I don't understand this and I have no explanation from Sun nor from anybody else. I'd hate to say this but Sun is on it's way out if this is the case.

--
Lyndon Tiu

-- Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.com -- Author: Lyndon Tiu INET: ltiu_at_alumni.sfu.ca Fat City Network Services -- 858-538-5051 http://www.fatcity.com San Diego, California -- Mailing list and web hosting services --------------------------------------------------------------------- To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing).