Re: RE: RE: dumping microsoft desktop?

From: Ray Stell <stellr_at_cns.vt.edu>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 08:59:08 -0800

On Fri, Nov 15, 2002 at 05:59:06AM -0800, dgoulet_at_vicr.com wrote:
> OH, talk about cruel and unusual punishment!! For the fish that is.

It is interesting that so many people feel this way and yet the topic is reduced to joking, as if it is not possible (or really desirable) to replace technology. MVS systems programmers couldn't envision life without an IBM mainframe a few years ago. I asked the desktop question because we are exploring this path due to huge budget issues and the million dollar invoice to M$ is due. I wanted to see if the Oracle world had anything going on the topic. Guess not.

Star and Open Office advances seem to be milestones in this arena. I believe we will move some % of our admin desktops to linux this year as a pilot. Departments can't afford the price of upgrading their office software, they will try the open versions to see what happens.

Interesting bullets:

The EU is studying the conversion of member goverment desktops:

www.globetechnology.com/servlet/ArticleNews/einsider/RTGAM/20021104/gtopenms/einsider/

 The European Union awarded on Thursday a $249,000 (U.S.) contract to  U.K.-based system-integrator Netproject to study the feasibility of  moving the information systems of several member countries'  governments to the Linux operating system from Microsoft's Windows  OS.

www.netproject.co.uk/opendesktop.html

 "The USA National Security Agency's white paper 'The Inevitability of  Failure: The Flawed Assumption of Security in Modern Computing  Environments' should be read by all who are concernd with achieving  secure systems that enable e-business. This is at  www.nsa.gov/selinux/inevit-abs.html."

...waiting for the 9.2.0.2 patch to finish on my Mandrake 9 desktop (see, it's not off topic! ;)

> Dick Goulet

> Author: "Gogala; Mladen" <MGogala_at_oxhp.com>
> Date: 11/14/2002 1:38 PM
>
> Well, once upon a time there was an event called Boston Tea Party
> which dealt with too expensive product of low quality delivered by
> a monopoly. I wonder whether we can expect Seattle Windows Party?
> Would that be too cruel to the fish in Seattle harbor?

Ray Stell   stellr_at_vt.edu     (540) 231-4109     KE4TJC    28^D
Author: Ray Stell
  INET: stellr_at_cns.vt.edu