RE: Monitoring Unix Question

From: Stephen Lee <slee_at_dollar.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 14:09:08 -0800

If you have the "top" utility installed on the Unix box, this makes an easy to use interface to identify CPU hogs. For non-root users to run it, your sys admin might have to change default permissions on certain "files" such as /dev/kmem; or possibly make top SUID root.

If you don't have top, or you can't run it as non-root, you can try using the following ps command to sort things by %CPU, but I think there might be differences among OS's on some of the more exotic ps and sort options:

ps -eo pid -o %cpu | sort -rk2 | head -20

After you have identified which PID is the hog, and can see that it is a dedicated server process, you can run something like the following to match SID & SERIAL# to the correct OS process ID. If you must brutally kill the process, kill the session in the database, then kill the pid in the OS.

set linesize whatever_you_like
set pagesize whatever_you_like

col username format a15
col osuser format a15