Re: Oracle 9.2.0.1/2 on Mandrake 9 - solved

From: Markus Reger <reger_at_mdw.ac.at>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 09:09:05 -0800

out of curiosity : did you ever check the filesizes in bytes of yr first corrupt downloads with the bytes of the files on the download site? i'm running O9i too, now wondering if this test might suffice to tell whether the download was successful or not. i didn't experience any probs so far until recently when i changed/patched to 9.2.0.2.0 - the oem/console dosn't display the XML database. the flaw is, that it doesn't have some index ...

created a totally new -userdefined,NOT preconfigured - database and could successfully display the XML-stuff.

installation is on a rh 7.2 - was a rh 8.0 - but on rh8.0 the console didn't work - unproperly terminated connect string when attempting to connect even to a local database. dumped the whole rh 8.0, reinstalled the 7.2.

lfw to a reply
mr
>>> boris_dali_at_yahoo.ca 11/14/02 17:32 PM >>>
Ray, right on target!

After looking for disk errors in dmesg output, /var/log/messages to no avail, I finally uninstalled the whole 9.2 OH last night,
re-downloaded/re-burned/re-... and this time installation of both 9.2.0.1 and a patch went with no glitches.

Apparently Disk2 was corrupted/missing files/??? on downloading/burning/unpacking, but what surprised me the most is that I didn't get any errors at gunzip/cpio stage, which I always thought of as a good indication that software on CDs is valid. This assumption cost me week and a half of hopeless tries to make it work...

On the bright side, some .o, .so etc. files I see in OUI during installation look painfully familiar...

Thanks a lot for you help.

Author: Boris Dali
  INET: boris_dali_at_yahoo.ca

Author: Markus Reger