Re: Configuring disks on a Windows 2000 server?

From: Thomas Day <tday6_at_csc.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 07:24:05 -0800

Oracle's recommendation (for what it's worth) is SAME (Stripe All, Mirror Everything). They're blowing smoke about the redo logs. I've never heard anyone, anywhere say that (of course, I'm willing to learn from my errors). RAID 5 is usually recommended against but our recent discussion here (if I followed it correctly) indicated that the write penalty for RAID 5 may go the way of the single extent myth.

RAID 5 is cheaper, in terms of number of disks.

                    Paul Vincent
                    <Paul.Vincent        To:     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
                    @uce.ac.uk>          cc:
                    Sent by: root        Subject:     Configuring disks on a Windows 2000 server?

                    11/14/2002
                    05:03 AM
                    Please
                    respond to
                    ORACLE-L

Hi all,

A 3rd-party software vendor is coming in to install their application on a new Windows 2000 server. This application uses Oracle, so they'll also be installing Oracle 8.1.7 as part of their setup session. However, they've sent our server/hardware guys the following, specifying how they want the disks configuring on the server:

Now, disk configuration's one of my weakest spots, but I have the following two questions about their instructions:

  1. Is their point about Oracle not supporting redo logs on striped partitions true, or are they talking rubbish? All our UNIX servers with Oracle use RAID 0+1 (mirroring plus striping) on all their disks, but is it different for Windows servers? I must say I'd never heard of this restriction before, but I'm willing to be enlightened! Anybody?
  2. They're recommending RAID 5 for a transaction-heavy application server, here. Surely that's wrong? I thought I understood that RAID 5 was great for file servers but lousy for servers running transactio-heavy business applications. What's the view of you guys on this?

Please give me your views, I know we have some very experienced people on this list!

Best regards,

Paul

Author: Paul Vincent
  INET: Paul.Vincent_at_uce.ac.uk