Parallel query question

From: <sat0789_at_fastmail.fm>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 16:03:27 -0800

Hello All,

   I am in the process of creating a bitmap index on a foreign key in a    fact table(partitioned) comprising of 10 mil rows.     The distinct count on the foreign key is 4 mil. This is to ensure     that star transformation works.
    I have a degree of 8 for the table and when i am creating the index i     do local tablespace parallel 8.

     For some reason when i take a look at v$px_session table i see only
     a degree of 3 with reg_degree as 3 for
the create index and hence this index creation is taking about 3 hours.

   This is the only process running in the box (8cpu , plenty of ram ,    9.2 oracle ver)
I have NOT set parallel automatic tuning to true and max_servers is set to 72.
I tried this same index creation on another fact table and that too shows only reg_degree as 3.
Could someone please let me know whats is happening ?? Is there an internal setting that is overriding my parallel 8 option in the create index.

TIA, Satish.
--

http://fastmail.fm - Consolidate POP email and Hotmail in one place

  INET: sat0789_at_fastmail.fm

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Wed Nov 13 2002 - 18:03:27 CST