RE: AIX vs Solaris

From: Kevin Lange <kgel_at_ppoone.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 11:16:01 -0800

Bill;
  I came from a shop that ran AIX servers and Oracle 7.3.4 to 8.1.7. As for the OS and Oracle, all our 7.3.4 scripts worked just fine when we were under 8.1.7.... we used the k-shell exclusively as well. I do not think you have any problems there.

As for AIX in particular ..... I loved it. It was very easy to manage and update. Plus, the journal file system was supurb. We had very few crashes on the hardware (at the time we were running an S70a with over 70 or so SSA drives). We did have a couple system crashes due to failed hardware ... but when the system came back up the journals would automatically replay and our Oracle systems would come back with no recovery neccessary.

As for maintenance .... we had a contract with IBM where they were out to our location within 24 hrs .... and they were very efficient. I remember they Engineer staying there with us for about 48 hours as we all tried to find the problem with the hardware (turned out to be a 25 dollar circuit on the hot swap drive tray). The point is .... they had very good service techs.

What I also liked on AIX was the ease at file system setup, patch application and tracking, and overall System Administration.

(Yes , I am biased towards AIX).

At my new location we are running Solaris with a Netapp filer ..... nice combination. The WAFL file system on the netapp is most excellent for use with Oracle.

The bad side of AIX was always the cost. The hardware was damn costly , the software was damn costly, and the maintenance contract was damn costly ...... get the trend here ??

Well, there is my two cents worth.

You might go out to Suns site and get the list of features for their OS and then go to IBMs site and get its features list and compare.

Good luck

Kevin