Autostarting databases

From: Bob Metelsky <bmetelsky_at_cps92.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 07:18:55 -0800

All

        Ive finally returned to my desk from the server room/user desktop trenches ;-)
with hopefully some time to pose this autostarting problem to the list.

I have about 12 oracle database(services) running on windows 2k server, I believe by starting the service should start the instance and stopping the service should shutdown the database. This not happening on the server, so the databases are not starting up automatically. I have to force start then using a batch file as such

svrmgrl.exe command='@C:\db_startup\initdb8i.sql' C:\sleep 3

<initdb8i.sql>
connect internal/pw_at_db8i
startup pfile=R:\OR_8I\ADMIN\DB8I\pfile\init.ora exit

I have tried to delete the service via oradim and recreating but doing that does not affect the auto starting problem. Here is an example of my use of oradim

F:\ORA817\bin\ORADIM -delete -SID db8i

F:\ORA817\bin\ORADIM -NEW -SID db8i -INTPWD pw -STARTMODE auto -PFILE R:\OR_8I\ADMIN\DB8I\pfile\init.ora -SHUTMODE i -SHUTTYPE srvc,inst
-TIMEOUT 60
One other issue is once I delete the service and create a new service, then try to delete again. win2k informs me "the service is currently marked for deletion" so you cant do anything else with the instance, a reboot to clear the marked service is necessary.

I've checked the registry entries in the oracle home and it corresponds exactly to what is specified in the oradim statement and the path to the oracle.exe in the service is correct.

Overall history: this server was NT 40, now "upgraded" to win2k server this server has oracle 7.3.4, 8.0.5, 8.1.6, 8.1.7.3 currently the default home is set to 8.1.7

The server is running aproc 12 8.1.6 instances and 10 8.1.7 databases I have tried to

1. delete and recreate the sid using oradim
2. "migrating" an 8.1.6 to 8.1.7 using the migration wizard
3. Building a new database using 8.1.7

None of the databases will auto start!

I have win2k pro with 8.1.6 on my machine and stopping and starting the service starts and stops the database....

Any suggestions for getting my db's to start upon boot up. I have deleted the service with oradim then recreated, as above then rebooted and the db does not start. This whole problem started whn the server was "upgraded" to win2k server.

thanks
bob

Author: Bob Metelsky
  INET: bmetelsky_at_cps92.com

to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Wed Nov 13 2002 - 09:18:55 CST