Re: Oracle 9.2.0.1/2 on Mandrake 9

From: Ray Stell <stellr_at_cns.vt.edu>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 03:38:31 -0800

On Tue, Nov 12, 2002 at 01:50:52PM -0800, Boris Dali wrote:
> I guess disk explanation is the most logical one to
> assume, but I've no idea how to confirm and overcome
> it. As I mentioned I re-installed it in different
> combinations multiple times. Would this file always go
> the same place on disk (say same bad sector)?

not likely, and you would probably get i/o errors at other times on other files.

> One interesting thing I've noticed after comparing
> your ls -l output with mine is that all other 4 image
> files in this directory are dated way back to 2000
> timeframe, whereas credits.gif has a time stamp of
> yestarday (day I tried the installation last time). I
> can view the file with the browser, however. What does
> it tell me?

I'm not sure. I guess it is possible that the timestamp did not get copied yet and the failure interupted.

I wonder if the cd is bad and the msg is deceiving. That would explain why it fails at the same file during each install. Maybe it isn't the write, but the associated read of the cd and OUI is being creative in the msg. Sounds like a long shot.

Try to copy the cd files in some other fashion like dd. Maybe something will float to the surface.

Author: Ray Stell
  INET: stellr_at_cns.vt.edu