RE: Is nothing sacred? (Oracle vs The Experts)

From: Mark J. Bobak <mark_at_bobak.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 18:08:32 -0800

Rachel,

In case you missed the mention earlier in the thread, go to http://www.hotsos.com/ and click the "Knowledge On-line" link and look for a paper called "When to use an index". Cary does an excellent job explaining why row selectivity is a totally invalid criteria. He then proceeds to demonstrate how index access may be valid for 100% selectivity, and how FTS access may be valid for 1% or less selectivity.

If you haven't seen it, it's a great read.

-Mark
On Tue, 2002-11-12 at 19:48, Rachel Carmichael wrote:
> last time I checked with an Oracle University instructor who I trust as
> knowledgeable, it was FTS if more than 5-8% of rows expected to be
> returned. This was 2000. These days, who knows?
>
> I don't go by the rules much anymore but by perception of performance
> and by explain plan analysis.
>

> --- "Fink, Dan" <Dan.Fink_at_mdx.com> wrote:
> > Of course, sacred cows make the best steaks (sorry, Gaja).
> >
> > An excellent example is the age old ideas that the earth was the
> > center of
> > the universe, that the world was flat, that the Cubs will never win
> > another
> > World Series (okay...bad example). Knowledge is limited by what we
> > can
> > currently test. We are always restricted by our physical world (I
> > don't have
> > a clue as to how I can personally test if the world is indeed round)
> > but
> > also by what we choose to accept as fact. What happens to indexing
> > strategies when disk reads are faster than memory access operations?
> > Before
> > you say, "It will never happen" think about it...Can you predict the
> > future
> > with absolute certainty?
> >
> > Even the 'experts' choose to accept certain facts. Look at the
> > scientific
> > world. Many of the most 'brilliant' ideas now can be proven false.
> > According
> > to the experts, we only need 5 computers worldwide with 64k of
> > memory.
> >
> > I checked by Data Server Internals texts from 1999 and they preach
> > 15% of
> > rows returned for indexing, and this series is certainly looked upon
> > as the
> > 'expert'. Anyone out there with a more recent version? I wonder what
> > it
> > says...
> >
> > IMHO, the bottom line is that many of us are so concerned with just
> > keeping
> > systems running that we have no time for our own personal research
> > and
> > development. Until I decided to write an article about rollback
> > segments, I
> > never applied the scientific method to my understanding of Oracle.
> > Will
> > application of the method explain everything? Nope, but it will come
> > close.
> > It requires a lot of time and hard work, something that is a precious
> > commodity these days, especially in the corporate world. I am very
> > grateful
> > for people like Cary, Tim, Anjo, Craig, Gaja, Kirti, et.al. who take
> > the
> > time to say "prove it!" and then perform the experiments and, most
> > importantly, are willing to share the results with us on this list
> > and at
> > meetings like IOUG-A.
> >
> > Dan Fink

Mark J. Bobak
Oracle DBA
mark_at_bobak.net
"It is not enough to have a good mind.  The main thing is to use it
well."
 						-- Rene Descartes
Author: Mark J. Bobak
  INET: mark_at_bobak.net