RE: Is nothing sacred? (Oracle vs The Experts)

From: Cary Millsap <cary.millsap_at_hotsos.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 13:23:53 -0800

I think the question "Is nothing sacred?" is an interesting one. Lots of these things we're talking about have been false for a very long time. It's only that people are finally starting to notice them. Product changes are often *not* what's driving "new knowledge." In many cases, the "change" that's taking place is the improvement in the quality of our conclusions.

"Is nothing sacred?" I think it's perfectly legitimate to confront people's (and companies') conjectures with scientific data.

Cary Millsap
Hotsos Enterprises, Ltd.
http://www.hotsos.com

Upcoming events:

- Hotsos Clinic, Dec 9-11 Honolulu
- 2003 Hotsos Symposium on OracleR System Performance, Feb 9-12 Dallas
- Jonathan Lewis' Optimising Oracle, Nov 19-21 Dallas

Author: "Jesse; Rich" <Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com>
Date:       11/11/2002 8:58 AM

So, there I am, on 8.1.7.2 (and .4) on HP/UX 11.0, with a process that runs
20 minutes out of every hour of the day (despite my protests to it's design). After it starts having problems (go figure), it becomes a priority
to speed it up.

Thanks to a 10046 trace, we see that the query taking the most elapsed time
does FTSs on each of two very small tables (1 block and 4 blocks -- 8K blocksize). These tables are not indexed, as per the official Oracle recommendation. After reading the excellent Hotsos paper "When to index a
table" (THANKS, CARY!), I added an index to reduce elapsed time on this query by 50% (150 to 75 seconds in test), proving to me that the paper is
valid. And I've only read to page four!

OK, first I'm taught by Oracle to look at Buffer Cache Hit Ratios as a measure of performance, then told (and thoroughly convinced) by experts that
this is bunk. Now, I found out that the 15% (or 10% or whatever, depending
on version) ratio of rows returned to total rows in determining when to use
an index in a query is garbage.

  1. Why is this?
  2. What other pearls of performance wisdom from Oracle Corp should I completely disregard as false?

I know there's an Oracle Fallacy website somewhere...

It just looks bad on me, our department, and Oracle when, once again, something I've been preaching to our developers as gospel turns out to be
completely false.

Maybe I'm grumpy because it's snowing on my leaves right now... <sigh>

Rich

Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com              Quad/Tech International, Sussex, WI
USA Disclaimer: I only said the Packers would be 12-4 this year -- I never said
that they couldn't do better! WOO-HOO! :)

Author: Jesse, Rich
  INET: Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com

  INET: dgoulet_at_vicr.com

Author: Cary Millsap
  INET: cary.millsap_at_hotsos.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Tue Nov 12 2002 - 15:23:53 CST