High current reads from fetch in query.

From: Jesse, Rich <Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 12:18:41 -0800

Hey all,

As I'm doing some perf tuning on a procedure using a 10046 trace with tkprof
(8.1.7 on HP/UX 11.0). One of the queries from the tkprof has the following
output:

SELECT QPM.PRODUCTLINE PL,MIN(PLN.PLANNERNO) PNO FROM
 VISIB.QT_PRODUCTLINE_MEMBERS QPM,VISIB.PLANNERS PLN WHERE   UPPER(RTRIM(QPM.USERID)) = UPPER(RTRIM(PLN.PLANNER)) AND QPM.PRODUCTLINE =
  :b1 GROUP BY PRODUCTLINE

call count cpu elapsed disk query current rows
------- ------ -------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ----------

Parse 1 0.00 0.00 0 0 0 0
Execute 66491 19.21 20.59 0 0 0 0
Fetch 132982 83.54 90.78 88 332455 531928 66491
------- ------ -------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ----------

total 199474 102.75 111.37 88 332455 531928 66491

Misses in library cache during parse: 1
Optimizer goal: CHOOSE
Parsing user id: 256 (QT_PRODSCHED) (recursive depth: 1)

Rows Execution Plan

-------  ---------------------------------------------------
      0  SELECT STATEMENT   GOAL: CHOOSE
      0   SORT (GROUP BY NOSORT)
      0    HASH JOIN
      0     TABLE ACCESS   GOAL: ANALYZED (FULL) OF
                'QT_PRODUCTLINE_MEMBERS'
      0     TABLE ACCESS   GOAL: ANALYZED (FULL) OF 'PLANNERS'

Yes, this is obviously bad by design. What I don't understand is the high "current" count. From the docs, it says that this is normal for DML, but says nothing about what this means for queries. The SELECT statement is defined as a cursor, and there is no "FOR UPDATE OF" clause in the cursor.

I've searched through Metalink about this, but haven't had any luck. Does anyone have an explanation?

TIA,
Rich

Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com              Quad/Tech International, Sussex, WI USA
Author: Jesse, Rich
  INET: Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com