Re:VC++ to Oracle connectivity without installing client

From: <dgoulet_at_vicr.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 07:24:21 -0800

Muru,

    You generated quite a bit of mail here. Regrettably I'm getting in on it late, decided this vet was taking Veterans Day off yesterday. Anyway, with any application you HAVE to make a choice up front to either use client/server or three tier be that web services, tuxedo, or something else. That decision then shapes your needs for a client toolset. My first point to decide is the deployment location(s) for the app. If it's small and all have easy access to the database, client/server. On the other hand if it's small but the clients do not have easy access to the server (firewall in the way) then web. If large, probably a transaction processor of some sorts. UNLESS your seriously using NAMED USERS in which case client/server is the only way to keep out of license trouble. Get anything between your client and server and Oracle interprets that as an "uncountable user population" requiring CPU licensing.

Dick Goulet

Author: Muru <muru_oracle_at_yahoo.com>
Date:       11/8/2002 2:14 PM

Hello Gurus,

I would like to program our VC++ application to directly connect to Oracle database using OO4O or OCI. But the problem is this VC++ app is gonna run on 1000s of desktops where we may have to install Oracle client which will be a time consuming in-efficient process. I am trying to see if the required client dlls and other files can be combined in the VC++ package itself and delivered to those 1000s of desktops.

Can any of you give some insight into this, please?

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Muru

Do you Yahoo!?
U2 on LAUNCH - Exclusive greatest hits videos http://launch.yahoo.com/u2

Author: Muru
  INET: muru_oracle_at_yahoo.com

  INET: dgoulet_at_vicr.com
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Tue Nov 12 2002 - 09:24:21 CST