Re: Solaris vs Windows 2000

From: James J. Morrow <jmorrow_at_warthog.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 22:38:19 -0800

Jared --

I tend to agree with your statements. Although, personally, I tend to think that Windows NT/2000/XP is a wholly inappropriate environment for any enterprise database. The general reasons I tend to choose to back my statements:

  1. Scalability. (I'm sorry, "clustering" is an availability solution, not a scalability one. If you can't grow beyond 4 CPUs [Intel's problem more than M$FT's, here] and need to, then an Intel platform is not for you.)
  2. Managibility. I can do practically anything I need to on a unix box over a 300bps modem, if necessary. (This omits, of course, inserting media and hitting the power switch... oh, and installing oracle now that they have this java-based installer... fortunately, that's not *that* common of an occurance in ordinary "maintenance")
  3. Did I mention scalability? Most *nix platforms scale in a much more "linear" fashion. (i.e. 2 cpu's are more likely to give you double the performance on a RISC-based system than on an x86 based one.) Note: I'm saying only that RISC systems tend to be *more* linear than x86 ones.
  4. Supportability. (yeah, I know, not really a word). I've supported Oracle on both (especially Oracle Applications). Personally, unix platforms tend to provide much more useful information when something does go wrong. The standard Microsoft error message of "it's broke" doesn't really tell me anything useful.
  5. Security. How many security flaws have been found in 'doze? And don't even get me started on M$FT Look-out! (otherwise known as a security hole that occasionally delivers mail). It's also nice that *nix platforms are immune to all of the _really_common_ virii that hit the news these days (Melissa, I Love You, etc.). (Not that *nix is truly immune to virii... but the big-bad-ugly-ones you hear about tend to exploit flaws in... hows that again? Right... Windows and Lookout... Although it helps somewhat that the *nix security model tends to compartmentalize things a bit more than windows does [by default]).
  6. Do you *really* want all of the overhead of a tightly-coupled GUI on a _server_?

Admittedly, Windows 2000 does appear to be far more stable than previous versions. And the NT-derivatives don't tend to crash in a wholesale manner like the Windows/386 derivatives ('95,'98,ME). But, personally, I should _NEVER_ have to reboot a machine to upgrade/patch a web browser.

James J. Morrow
Nascent Systems, Inc.
Dallas, TX
mailto:jmorrow_at_warthog.com