RE: Solaris vs Windows 2000

From: Reardon, Bruce (CALBBAY) <Bruce.Reardon_at_comalco.riotinto.com.au>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 20:53:27 -0800

Jared,
I've never managed a UNIX server, but we do have some VMS servers and some Windows servers.

Some thoughts:
Some changes in your Network require a reboot on each server - specifically consider the following: your DNS server changes - AFAIK need a reboot your WINS server changes - AFAIK need a reboot Yes, you can get around most of this by using a local hosts file - but that's more administration
(and have you ever tired (for example) to do a net send to a server specified by name where the name is in a host file
It didn't work for me - maybe a lmhosts file will get around this - don't know. You want to change the domain the server is in - AFAIK time to reboot

Now, I'm not against Windows servers as such and I know you can run them for long uptimes, but it can be frustrating when events external to the administration of that box force you to reboot (eg you can't just stop the IP component reconfigure it and restart that bit).

Support
Which company (Dell or Sun) will give you (for free) spares to locate on your site to allow quick replacements? Do you get Dell's premier support, or just standard customer support

Out of band remote console
Yes you can use PC Anywhere / VNC / whatever, but doesn't help if it freezes during the reboot. I take it you're aware of Dell's DRAC / ERA (Embedded Remote Assistance) cards that provide this.

Have you looked into Dell's IT Assistant for monitoring its servers.

Disk Infrastructure
With the disk infrastructure you are going to be using for your Dell box, can you add new disks without rebooting? It's frustrating to require a reboot just to add another disk.

Oracle support
What's your company's sway with Oracle?
Many big customers seem to be on Unix, meaning that any particular patch may well come out first for Solaris.
(Then again the consolidated patch sets that they release for Windows are handy - get all the fixes in 1 go (once that patch set is released).

SAP - how many SAP customers have their DB on Unix vs Windows? ie if you run into a SAP specific Oracle issue, is it more likely to be fixed first on Solaris or on Windows?

Scalability -
Do you get the free Dell Power solutions magazines (articles are also available on their web site)? They've had a few articles on benchmarking on some on migrating Sun based BEA Weblogic servers to Dell servers running Red Hat / W2K. Their cluster special edition in 2002 had an article comparing performance for 2/4/8 CPUs (admittedly this test was using SQL Server).

Have fun & let us know what you find...

Regards,
Bruce Reardon

Author: Reardon, Bruce (CALBBAY)
  INET: Bruce.Reardon_at_comalco.riotinto.com.au