Re: Is nothing sacred? (Oracle vs The Experts)

From: Jeffery Stevenson <dba_at_darkora.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 09:59:38 -0800

Well, besides the paper you found, Jonathan Lewis has a myths section with his site:
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/myths.html

Gaja also has a good "myths" article:
http://www.quest-pipelines.com/newsletter-v3/0302_F.htm

Rachel, weren't you doing a presentation on Oracle myths (or did you just put that in DBA 101)?

Jeffery Stevenson
Chief Databeast Slayer
Medical Present Value, Inc.
Austin, TX

> So, there I am, on 8.1.7.2 (and .4) on HP/UX 11.0, with a process that
runs
> 20 minutes out of every hour of the day (despite my protests to it's
> design). After it starts having problems (go figure), it becomes a
priority
> to speed it up.
>
> Thanks to a 10046 trace, we see that the query taking the most elapsed
time
> does FTSs on each of two very small tables (1 block and 4 blocks -- 8K
> blocksize). These tables are not indexed, as per the official Oracle
> recommendation. After reading the excellent Hotsos paper "When to index a
> table" (THANKS, CARY!), I added an index to reduce elapsed time on this
> query by 50% (150 to 75 seconds in test), proving to me that the paper is
> valid. And I've only read to page four!
>
> OK, first I'm taught by Oracle to look at Buffer Cache Hit Ratios as a
> measure of performance, then told (and thoroughly convinced) by experts
that
> this is bunk. Now, I found out that the 15% (or 10% or whatever,
depending
> on version) ratio of rows returned to total rows in determining when to
use
> an index in a query is garbage.
>
> 1) Why is this?
>
> 2) What other pearls of performance wisdom from Oracle Corp should I
> completely disregard as false?
>
> I know there's an Oracle Fallacy website somewhere...
>
> It just looks bad on me, our department, and Oracle when, once again,
> something I've been preaching to our developers as gospel turns out to be
> completely false.
>
> Maybe I'm grumpy because it's snowing on my leaves right now... <sigh>
>

> Rich
>

> Rich Jesse System/Database Administrator
> Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com Quad/Tech International, Sussex, WI
USA

Author: Jeffery Stevenson
  INET: dba_at_darkora.net